Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday and Thankful to be Alive

Asperger's, autism, cycling, empathy, respite, sports, thankfulness,
I try not to blog about myself too much because this is an autism blog. But my thankfulness sometimes has to extend beyond the scope of autism, and why shouldn't it? Autism is a part of our lives, but it's not the end-all of our existence, right? Anyway, my thankfulness today:

1. I am thankful that we are finally getting to a point where I can take a sort of respite break once in a while and do something just for myself - not work related (like when I used to take yoga classes because I was teaching yoga) but just strictly for enjoyment. I had signed us all up for the local bicycle club recently, but I haven't been able to take part in any of the rides until tonight. So I am thankful that I had the opportunity to do that (despite the ensuing disaster).

2. That being said, I am really thankful that I am actually home, in one piece and I didn't die on my fist ride with the bike club. I had my doubts for a while. I am particularly thankful for the lovely gentleman who was acting as ride sweeper tonight - that's the person who hangs back with anyone having trouble on the ride. I was 'done like dinner, ' to quote Gus almost as soon as we started. I felt a little uneasy when I saw that almost everyone was riding road bikes, except one guy who had a hybrid. Genius that I am, I brought my mountain bike - it was easier to grab and I was in a rush. I never imagined how much heavier that thing is compared to my road bike! Holy cow - it nearly killed me! My other big mistake was having dinner before I left. By the time we were halfway back, I had the most hideous stomach cramps. I should have known better. The first big hill we hit, I got so overheated I really wondered if I might have a heart attack. I may have been having a hot flash at that moment as well - impossible to tell. At any rate, T. was very patient and found a spot where we could shorten the ride. It was tough - I did maybe 10 miles - but I made it back and got an awesome hug from Gus because he felt sad for me. How awesome is that?

3. I am thankful that Gus was sensitive and aware enough to not only ask how my ride went, but to genuinely feel badly for me. There's that empathy again!

And as a bonus: I am thankful that I bought snacks because I could eat a cow...after I take a quick nap, anyway.

I'm about to pass out now, but please share your thankfulness with us! Have a great night!

5 comments:

  1. Another nice week to be thankful for, congrats. I may not have mentioned this before, but I am thankful that it's almost Friday...but still digging my Thursday.

    peace,
    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thankful list. You so deserve all you get and the satisfaction when Gus does what he does makes it all that much more special. Hang in there on the bike riding. And don't eat before you ride next time ya hear LOL Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you had a great time. And gus with that empathy thing again, gotta admit, if it was just that, wasnt it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just wanted to stop by and let you know that you have won an award!

    http://www.allaboutbipolar.com/2009/06/08/all-about-bipolar-compromiso-educativo-award/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike: I'm with ya on the Fridays - you can't even imagine. Is school out yet???

    Thom: I'm going back this Thursday with a lighter bike and a lot less food! Wish me luck!

    John: Not only empathy, but perfect timing. totally worth it! And thanks for the award!!

    ATorturedSoul: Thanks so much! Award has been passed on!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome - thanks for sharing your insights!